The Man Up workout series is a combination of home workouts and gym workouts that are scalable for every fitness level. The weights listed will be for intermediate users, and scaling info will be provided when necessary (e.g. 3 rep max, ½ bodyweight, etc.) Add weight if you need more of a challenge, and drop weight if you feel you are sacrificing form or getting injured.
There will be diet suggestions as always, and self-improvement principles related to health. I’m going to try to post workouts and previews 6 days of the week, but I need your help to keep me honest. If all goes well there will be at least one workout video a week and lots of links to keep you on track. Good luck!
Day 17: Wednesday, April 4th 2012
Warm Up: 20 minutes
Recumbent Resistance Intervals
- 5 minutes at ‘6’ to ‘8’ resistance 75 RPM to 80 RPM
- 8 times: 30 seconds at ‘11’ to ‘13’ resistance 90+ RPM, followed by 1 minute at ‘6’ to ‘8’ resistance 75 RPM to 80 RPM
- 3 minutes at a leisurely pace
Light Stretch: less than 5 minutes
No deep stretching. Just a few reaching exercises, arm swings and circles, trunk rotations, etc. The idea is to move and get warm, especially muscle groups you missed in your warm-up.
Resistance: 15 – 25 minutes
Push-ups / Bench:
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 12 reps at 20 - 30 lbs, 10 reps at 25 - 35 lbs., 8 reps at 35 - 45 lbs.
- Push-up position hold for 90 seconds X 2
- 3 Turkish Get-ups L & R each arm with a 30 lb. dumbbell
- 5 Dumbbell Suitcase Deadlifts L & R with a 60 lb. dumbbell
- 2X 8 Barbell Push Presses with 55 to 75 lbs. (let me know how much you can handle)
- 20 Heel Raises
- 15 Toe Raises
- 20 Heel Raises
- 15 Toe Raises
- Single leg Step ups on low step (8” – 12”): 5 step ups on each leg with striding arms, balance for 5 seconds on EVERY step
Cardio: Treadmill Tabata
- Jog / Walk for 5 minutes
- Set the Treadmill to a challenging pace (at least 6 mph if you haven't been running, closer to 9 or 10 if you have been running at a high level, 11 or faster for elite runners). For 6 minutes alternate 20 seconds running, 10 seconds resting on the edges.
- Jog / walk for 4 minutes.
5 – 10 minutes easy recumbent bicycle (until your heart rate normalizes from tabata run)
Stretch: Shoulders, Chest, Back
Comprehensive light stretching, then focus on shoulders, arms, chest and back. Be sure to include: infraspinatus stretch, teres minor stretch, bent over lat stretch, wall lat stretch, overhead triceps stretch, seated biceps stretch, doorway or floor deltoid stretch, side deltoid stretch, straight arm chest stretch, and doorway or floor modified chest stretch.
Start adding a fish oil supplement to your first, middle, and last meals of the day for faster healing and healthier joints. To really kick your fat loss up a notch and minimize joint inflammation, avoid bread (at least on workout days).
CINNAMON!! Add a dash of cinnamon to your morning cup of coffee, and another cup at lunch wouldn’t hurt.
Drink at least 8 oz. of water 30 minutes before each meal or snack, and drink fluids with your meal either just before or just after (or both), but not during. Green tea is a great option for delicious hydration, appetite suppression, antioxidants, and a nice energy boost!
Try to base your meal ratios on a total daily protein intake of 95g to 115g (while striving to maintain the 9:7:2 carb:protein:fat ratio at every meal except the pre and post workout snacks.)
Comment below, tweet @geoffcraft, or shoot me an email! Eat well, drink lots of water and have fun! Love you. #FitnessIsLove
Tomorrow: a long run / walk.