Apologies for not posting this last week! It was spring break in my neck of the woods, and that usually means MORE work for me. I was super busy, but it gave me a chance to re-format my ZeroMan workout series and get started on some new fitness ideas. Enjoy!
The Man Up workout series is a combination of home workouts and gym workouts that are scalable for every fitness level. The weights listed will be for intermediate users, and scaling info will be provided when necessary (e.g. 3 rep max, ½ bodyweight, etc.)
There will be diet suggestions as always, and self-improvement principles related to health. I’m going to try to post workouts and previews 6 days of the week, but I need your help to keep me honest. If all goes well there will be at least one workout video a week and lots of links to keep you on track. Good luck!
Day 01: Monday, March 19th 2012
Warm Up: 20 minutes
Recumbent Resistance Intervals
- 5 minutes at ‘6’ to ‘8’ resistance 75 RPM to 80 RPM
- 8 times: 30 seconds at ‘11’ to ‘13’ resistance 90+ RPM, followed by 1 minute at ‘6’ to ‘8’ resistance 75 RPM to 80 RPM
- 3 minutes at a leisurely pace
Light Stretch: less than 5 minutes
No deep stretching. Just a few reaching exercises, arm swings and circles, trunk rotations, etc. The idea is to move and get warm, especially muscle groups you missed in your warm-up.
Resistance: 15 – 25 minutes
Push-ups / Bench:
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 12 reps at 22.5 lbs, 10 reps at 25 lbs., 8 reps at 27.5 - 30 lbs.
- Push-up position hold for 90 seconds X 2
- 3 Turkish Get-ups L & R each arm with a 25 lb. dumbbell
- 5 Dumbbell Suitcase Deadlifts L & R with a 50 lb. dumbbell
- 2X 8 Barbell Push Presses with 45 to 55 lbs. (let me know how much you can handle)
- 20 Heel Raises
- 15 Toe Raises
- 20 Heel Raises
- 15 Toe Raises
- Single leg Step ups on low step (8” – 12”): 5 step ups on each leg with striding arms, balance for 5 seconds on EVERY step
Cardio: Treadmill Tabata
- Jog / Walk for 5 minutes
- Set the Treadmill to a challenging pace (at least 6 mph if you haven't been running, closer to 9 or 10 if you have been running at a high level, 11 or faster for elite runners). For 6 minutes alternate 20 seconds running, 10 seconds resting on the edges.
- Jog / walk for 4 minutes.
5 – 10 minutes easy recumbent bicycle (until your heart rate normalizes from tabata run)
Stretch: 5 - 10 minutes
Comprehensive light stretching, then focus on deep hip external rotators, glutes and IT band (tensor fasciae femoris) with butterfly stretches, feet farther in front butterfly stretches, lying glute stretches, lying piriformis stretches, and lying hip stretches.
Start adding a fish oil supplement to your first, middle, and last meals of the day for faster healing and healthier joints. To really kick your fat loss up a notch and minimize joint inflammation, avoid bread (at least on workout days).
CINNAMON!! Add a dash of cinnamon to your morning cup of coffee, and another cup at lunch wouldn’t hurt.
Drink at least 8 oz. of water 30 minutes before each meal or snack, and drink fluids with your meal either just before or just after (or both), but not during. Green tea is a great option for delicious hydration, appetite suppression, antioxidants, and a nice energy boost!
Try to base your meal ratios on a total daily protein intake of 95g to 115g (while striving to maintain the 9:7:2 carb:protein:fat ratio at every meal except the pre and post workout snacks.)
Comment below, tweet @geoffcraft, or shoot me an email! Eat well, drink lots of water and have fun! Love you. #FitnessIsLove
Tomorrow: Get ready for a quick home workout, and some jogging.
Avoid bread for the next couple days and see if it helps with joint pain and inflammation after the Wednesday workout.